This baked za’atar chicken dish has only 5 ingredients but is packed with flavor! We opted for gluten-free ingredients and baked it, instead of breading and frying, for an alternative recipe that is both healthier and gluten-free.
Our featured seasoning, za’atar, is the star of this dish. Its bright, fragrant flavors with their earthy and tangy undertones add color and zest that marry beautifully with the chicken. The Mediterranean marinade of spices tenderizes the chicken to keep it moist, creating a delicious chicken meal that is delightful, crispy, and juicy.
Pair our Baked Za’atar Chicken Cutlets with roasted veggies or a summer salad for a simple, yet hearty and flavorful meal
About PSC Za’atar – Za’atar is a unique and unforgettable Middle Eastern mainstay that instantly adds a complex tangy flavor to anything it touches. This popular seasoning contains sumac, thyme, and sesame seeds, lending it its citrus, slightly bitter, nutty flavor. Sprinkle it over salads and sandwiches, or add it to hummus or labneh for an instant Middle Eastern-inspired spread.
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup gluten-free panko mix
- ½ cup PSC Za’atar Blend
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it with a non-stick olive oil. Set aside.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts: Lay the chicken breast flat on the cutting board and place one hand flat over the top. Cutting away from your body, slowly slice the chicken breast horizontally, starting at the thick end. Slice the cutlet and divide it into two evenly sized, thin pieces. Repeat with the second chicken breast to create 4 thin chicken cutlets.
- Lay out three shallow plates. Add eggs to the first, almond flour to the second, and panko mix and za’atar to the third.
- Assemble chicken cutlets: Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. One at a time, dredge in almond flour, then egg, then za”atar and panko mixture. Shake off excess and set on the baking sheet. Repeat with all 4 cutlets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip each cutlet, and continue baking for 12 minutes or until chicken is golden brown and cooked thoroughly to an internal temperature of 165°F. Baking times will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- Try it in an air fryer! Prepare the chicken and cook in your air fryer until the thickest part of the cutlet reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Make it a meal! Pair it with a summer salad drizzled with tahini dressing for a nutritious, Mediterranean-inspired meal.