With sweet, gooey filling and a familiar, flaky crust, Cardamom Berry Toaster Pastries are better than you remember and surprisingly easy to make.
Featuring the warmth of peppery cardamom, spiciness of chili pepper, sweet richness of raspberry jam, and topped with a generous drizzle of melted icing, our Cardamom Berry Toaster Pastries are a nostalgic and fun-but-elegant treat that will liven up any breakfast or dessert menu.
About PSC Cardamom Berry: Our PSC Cardamom Berry adds a cheerful sophistication to anything it touches. The expert pairing of cardamom and berries creates a delicious, push-and-pull balance of sweet and spicy flavors to elevate foods like baked goods, jams, and smoothies.
Ingredients for Berry Filling:
3/4 cup raspberry jam
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp water
1/4 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
1 tbsp PSC Cardamom Berry
Ingredients for Pastry Crust:
1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tbsps milk
Ingredients for Egg Wash:
1 tbsp milk
Ingredients for Cardamom Berry Icing:
¾ cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp PSC Cardamom Berry
¼ tsp vanilla extract
Optional: Chopped pistachio
Prepare the Berry Filling: Place jam in a small saucepan over medium heat. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water, and add to the saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. 2. Add lemon zest and PSC Cardamom Berry and remove from heat.
Make the Pastry Crust:
- Using a mixer, blend small pieces of butter until smooth. Slowly add flour, sugar, and salt until well combined. Then add the egg and milk.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough into a ball. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 or more hours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and set on a floured surface. Divide the dough in half and roll out each half into a rectangle sheet measuring 9½ by 12½ rectangle and 1/8-inch thick, trimming to straighten the edges.
- Using a sharp knife, pastry wheel or bench scraper, cut each sheet of dough into nine, 3×4-inch rectangles.
- Using a spatula, transfer half of the rectangles to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Assemble the Pop tarts:
- Whisk the egg and milk in a small bowl to make the egg wash. Brush the egg wash on each of the rectangles.
- Spoon one tablespoon of filling into the center of each rectangle and place the second rectangle on top to create a pocket.
- Using your fingers, seal the edges. Then, press the tines of a fork along each edge to indent. Poke several, evenly-spaced small holes in the tops of the rectangles to let out steam.
Bake the Pop Tarts: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the pastries for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Set aside to cool before icing.
Make the Cardamom Berry Icing: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, PSC Cardamom Berry, and vanilla extract. Spread a spoonful of icing over each pastry (and sprinkle chopped pistachio if desired). Let it rest for at least 30 minutes so the icing can set.
- Make the dough ahead of time! You can store it in the fridge for up to 24hrs.
- Make it your own! This recipe tastes great with any fruit or jam for filling. We chose raspberry to capture the intense flavor of PSC Cardamom Berry blend.
- Save some for later! Store them in an airtight container for up to three days. To heat, simply pop in the toaster for a few minutes and enjoy!
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 75 minutes
Makes: 9 Toasty Pastries