Tom Kha Gai is a Thai food staple, and one of Thailand’s most celebrated soups. With a rich and creamy coconut base, intense flavors of gangal (Thai ginger), lemongrass, and coconut, this traditional soup is positively indulgent in both taste and texture.
Tom Kha Gai literally translates to::
- Tom – Boiled/Soup
- Kha – Galangal
- Gai – Chicken
This recipe is perfect for quick dinners on chilly spring evenings, and is versatile enough for any menu. Boasting fragrant herbs, thick coconut milk, and the unmistakable pine-like flavor of galangal root, Tom Kha Gai is the very definition of savory comfort food.
This soup is easy to make, easily adaptable, and naturally gluten-free; follow the recipe below to see for yourself.
About PSC Thai Coconut Sauce: An expertly blended Thai spice seasoning with a touch of sweet coconut and tangy citrus. This blend packs authentic flavor and fragrance into any Thai or Thai-inspired dish.
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 Japanese (or Chinese) eggplant
1lb boneless, skinless, chicken breast
1 stalk lemongrass
2 (2 in) piece fresh galangal, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup of PSC Thai Coconut Blend
13 oz coconut milk
2 tbsp fish sauce
Thai chilies, cilantro, and lime wedges
- Pour broth into a large saucepan
- Prepare the eggplant and chicken by cutting them into 1 inch pieces. Press the lemongrass stem with the flat side of a knife to bruise and release the flavour. Cut into 1 inch pieces and add it to the broth.
- Bring lemongrass, galangal and broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer for 8–10 minutes. Strain broth into a clean saucepan; discard solids.
- Add chicken to broth and return to a boil. Reduce heat, add eggplants, and simmer until chicken is cooked through and eggplants are soft, (about 20–25 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Mix together PSC Thai Coconut Blend, coconut milk, and fish sauce in a bowl. Add mixture to cooked broth.
- Garnish with chiles, lime, cilantro, and lime.
- Serve with rice (optional).
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes: 6 servings