At one time a humble grain found only in specialty natural food stores, quinoa is now a household staple, worthy of the spotlight. With high protein content and a soft, nutty taste and fluffy texture, quinoa is a versatile grain that is equally as delicious when served hot or cold. Today, we’re taking quinoa and mixing it with our favorite veggies in this refreshing and nutritious summertime grain salad!
About PSC Oregano, Dried: Oregano is a member of the mint family and is commonly used to flavor Italian dishes such as spaghetti sauce.
About PSC Herbs de Provence: A delicate mix of herbs native to the French region of Provence, this spice is floral and complex.
About PSC Mustard Powder: Made of ground mustard seeds, mustard powder is acidic and adds a distinct tangy flavor.
About PSC Garlic, Granulated: A pungent, spicy flavor with a bit of sweetness that adds depth and complexity and goes well with nearly any savory dish.
Ingredients for Salad:
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups vegetable stock
4 Persian cucumbers
1 yellow bell peppers
1/4 red onion
1 cup cherry tomatoes
Bundle of fresh parsley
Bunch of fresh mint leaves
Ingredients for Vinaigrette:
1/4 tsp PSC Garlic, Granulated
4 tbsp oil
1 ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
Pinch of salt and pepper
Steps for Base:
- Place uncooked Quinoa into a small saucepan and add vegetable stock.
- Place pan on medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes or until all the water has been soaked up. Next, remove the pan from the heat and set to one side for at least 10 minutes, keeping the lid on the pan.
- As the quinoa cooks, prepare the remaining salad ingredients. Chop the cucumber, pepper, red onion, and cherry tomatoes into small cubes. Finely chop the fresh herbs.
Steps For Vinaigrette:
- In a small bowl, mix together oregano, Herbs de Provence, mustard powder, garlic, oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper.
Steps for Salad:
- Remove the lid from the quinoa pan and fluff up using a fork. Transfer cooked quinoa to a large bowl.
- Add chopped salad ingredients to the bowl.
- Add vinaigrette to salad.
- Mix all ingredients together thoroughly, and serve!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Make it your own! Have fun with the ingredients, feel free to add sliced olives, pumpkin seeds, shopped cashews, pistachios, dried fruit, sweet corn, avocado, roasted butternut squash, cubed beetroot, chopped celery, red cabbage, or whatever experimental ingredients your heart desires!